Friday, March 15, 2013

Blissful Baking: Vanilla Macaroons


Vanilla Macaroons

I’ve always wanted to make homemade macaroons and have been searching for the perfect macaroon recipe book/recipe. I tried looking online, but I’ve always been a bit apprehensive with online recipes. Occasionally, I stumble onto a ‘failed’ recipe (I follow it to a T and it still doesn’t turn out right) and it just drives me nuts. I feel like all my hard work and time I put into making my creation is somewhat wasted. I’m a very indecisive person and couldn't decide on what recipe book to get, so I’m so glad my wonderful cousin Sam (The Sunflower Maiden) got me Macaroons: For the ideal bite-size treat as an early Birthday present. Guess I've gotta start somewhere?


So, I read the introduction and choose the first recipe in the book: Vanilla Macaroons. Simple and sweet, these macaroons were easier to make than I thought they would be.
Recipe:
1/4 cup ground almonds (stores don’t normally carry ground almonds, so make sure you have a food processor on hand)
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 extra large egg whites
1/4 cup superfine sugar (cane)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 

Filling:
4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar (optional: sifted)


Instructions: Place the ground almonds and confectioners’ sugar in a good processor and process for 15 seconds. (I did it a bit longer than 15 seconds because my food processor  is ancient and there were still some big pieces of almonds. I would do it until the pieces are very, very small). Sift the mixture into a bowl. (This step also helps with getting out the big pieces of almond). 
Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whip until holding soft peaks. Gradually beat in the superfine sugar to make a firm, glossy meringue. Beat in the vanilla extract. 
Using a spatula, fold the almond mixture into the meringue one-third at a time. When all the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, continue to cut and fold the mixture until it forms a shiny batter with a thick, ribbonlike consistency. 
Pour batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch plain tip. Pipe 32 small circles (make sure they are only about 1 inch wide) onto the prepared baking sheets. (I used parchment paper, but you could also use a silicone baking mat). This is an important step: Tap the baking sheets firmly onto a work surface to remove air bubbles. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (I accidentally missed this step and that's why some are cracked!) Preheat the oven to 325F/160C. 


Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. (I checked mine after 10 minutes and decided that they were done). Cool for 10 minutes. Carefully(!) peel the macaroons off the parchment paper and let cool completely. 

To make the filling, beat the butter and vanilla extract in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth and creamy. (This stuff is so yummy!) Use to sandwich pairs of macaroons together.


Tada! You’ve made homemade vanilla macaroons! :) See, that wasn’t so bad!
I decided to steep one of my favorite teas from Teavana, Earl Grey Creme, which paired very nicely with these bite-sized treats. 

Until next time,
 Bree
Just going to include this picture because I think it looks cool. 





No comments:

Post a Comment